Title: Senior Designer, Apparel
Location: Washington, D.C.
Salary: Competitive salary and benefits package based on qualifications; classified as full-time salaried; exempt and not eligible for overtime.
Reports to: Jocelyn Gailliot, CEO & Co-Founder and September Votta, Co-Founder
Travel: Occasional travel may be required
Tuckernuck is looking for a Senior Designer to create eye-catching, innovative designs that will propel the Tuckernuck brand to the next level. This person is responsible for the execution of the Tuckernuck vision from concept to creation, specifically ready-to-wear for the company’s private label. They will work collaboratively to build a stronger brand point of view and will help oversee development. They will work closely with the Founders and vendors to develop and execute products that meet the desired aesthetic and pricing parameters.
- Draw, design, and develop new clothing samples, and create and turn in documentation worksheet and manufacturing plan.
- Participate in meetings to discuss designs and line development, and present and review line and concepts regularly.
- Identify new opportunities relevant to Tuckernuck’s customer base through market research.
- Manage new design and fit styles while also maintaining corporate standards for bulk production.
- Assist team with communicating to vendors on design, production, and other issues as needed.
- Research current fashion trends and determine what the Tuckernuck customer will want to wear.
- Develop ideas for new products based on research data and collaborate with the Product Developer on execution
- Test and decide on fabrics, colors, patterns and textures for each design.
- Maintain relationships with vendors, suppliers and models.
- 8-10 years of prior experience in fashion design or product development for a women’s fashion branded lifestyle company.
- Attention to detail and artistic ability to transform a design from an idea into a physical illustration and then, eventually, to a prototype on which the finished product will be based. You will also need a keen sense of style and color.
- Creativity: you must be able to generate ideas for products that fit with the Tuckernuck aesthetic and lifestyle.
- Ability to collaborate well with others coupled with specific experience in design.
- Ability to develop new products with the conceptual thinking to avoid potential issues in garment construction and meet pricing parameters. A strong knowledge of woven and knit fabrics and garments and have a good eye for fashion.
- Strong knowledge of quality, make, and production integrity appropriate for Tuckernuck merchandise.
- Sound thinking necessary to accomplish detailed, complex tasks, as well as the ability to anticipate potential problems and provide effective solutions.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are required to communicate effectively with internal colleagues, management and vendors.
Core ValuesThe successful candidate will also demonstrate the following core values that inspire the Tuckernuck team to make a difference.
- Teamwork Makes the Dream Work
- Start Strong & Finish Strong
Tuckernuck is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. Tuckernuck policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, marital or veteran status, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member), sexual orientation, pregnancy, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. It also prohibits discrimination based on a perception that anyone has any of those characteristics or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of those characteristics. All such discrimination is unlawful.